Introduction to the Kongregate Client API
The Kongregate API allows you to integrate your game with Kongregate by submitting statistics, allowing players to earn badges, saving shared content, and much more. Our goal is to make the API simple but powerful. Currently, only Flash games using ActionScript 2 or 3 are supported.
The Kongregate API Object
Throughout the API documentation, you will see references to the "Kongregate" object or the "Kongregate API" object. In order to keep the API simple, function names, arguments, and return values are the same no matter what language is being used. The main difference when using a different language is how you go about obtaining the main Kongregate API object. When using ActionScript 2, the object is automatically loaded by our game shell, and you can reference it using
_global.kongregate, but when using ActionScript 3, you must load an external SWF and access it that way.
This is explained further in the language-specific documentation, but just keep in mind that when you see a variable named
kongregate or a reference to a "Kongregate" object or "Kongregate API" object you will need to substitute in the appropriate language-specific construct. It can be useful to create your own
kongregate variable which references the API so that your code exactly matches the documentation.
- General Services API: Used for connecting and obtaining basic information about the user.
- Statistics & Challenges API: Enables your game to notify Kongregate of any in-game event you can dream up, which can then be used by us to create badges and challenges.
- Shared Content API: Gives your players the ability to save, browse and share in-game content like levels or custom characters. (Currently AS3 only)
- Chat API: Allows you to display custom content in the chat area.
- Microtransaction & Kreds API: Enables you to create and sell virtual items in your game!
- Avatar API: Allows you to send DisplayObjects for users to use as their Kongregate avatar. (AS3 only) ★new
- IFrame Game Integration: Allows you to use the Kongregate API when your game is hosted in an iframe on another domain